Smoothies, juices, soup, nut butter, and whatnot? There is hardly any limit to the incredible foods; the mighty Vitamix can prepare. These are basically all-rounder kitchen appliances everybody trusts, from health enthusiasts to working professionals, parents, and chefs at home. However, these fantastic blenders do not come cheap; therefore, you need to keep them with care. The complex design of a Vitamix raises the question: Can a Vitamix go in the dishwasher? And the answer might surprise you. Each Vitamix kitchen appliance comes with a different dishwasher instruction.
In this article, we will talk about the care and maintenance of Vitamix blenders and learn how to keep your Vitamix spotless and crystal clear! Let’s hop in!
Can You Put Vitamix In the Dishwasher?
There is no hard and fast rule regarding the cleaning of the Vitamix. Multiple approaches can do it. However, the recommended approach will be to disassemble the unit and clean them. This approach will ensure that no area is left uncleaned.
Another additional recommendation is to set the setting of the dishwasher to warm. This will ensure that the body of the Vitamix does not get damaged due to sizzling hot water. This will also ensure that any oily/greasy or crusted substances present in any of the components get cleaned and washed away conveniently.
Once the entire cleaning process is completed, it is recommended to turn on the dishwasher’s blow-dry option instead of letting the appliance dry out on itself. Heat drying the appliance can cause the blades’ metallic corrosion, which can cause the Vitamix to malfunction or underperform.
Another important thing you need to consider about the Vitamix blenders is scratches. The pitcher can be made of plastic or glass; they are both susceptible to scratches. And these scratches have a propensity for sheltering bacteria which are not satisfactorily washed out in the dishwasher. That’s why you must clean the pitcher with soft bristle scrub and let it out to air dry.
How to Clean Vitamix Blender by Hand?
- Immediately after use, pour the remaining material onto a dish using a rubber spatula.
- Remove the pitcher from the motor base.
- Rinse the pitcher and lid from warm water.
- Now pour some soap on a non-abrasive scrub and gently scrub the lid, pitcher, and other working parts.
- Rinse again with warm water to make sure all soap has been washed from the surfaces.
- Place the pitcher upside down to let it air dry.
- Now, pat dries the entire system with a dry cotton cloth.
- Lastly, using a wet cloth, gently clean the base and between the buttons of the Vitamix blender.
How to Clean Vitamix Blender by Self-Cleaning Feature?
- Remove the pitcher from the motor base.
- Rinse the pitcher and lid from warm water.
- Pour one drop of dishwashing liquid into the Vitamix pitcher, and fill it with warm water.
- Place the lid on the pitcher and fix it tightly on the motor base.
- Now select the self-clean function from the control panel.
- Once the cycle is completed, pour out the detergent solution from the container and thoroughly rinse it with warm water.
- Place the pitcher upside down and let air dry.
- Using a wet cloth, wipe down the base and in between the buttons of the Vitamix blender.
How to Clean the Blades of Vitamix Blender?
If you feel your blender blades are still messy after cleaning the pitcher by the above two methods, you should wash them separately. Remove the pitcher from the motor base and unscrew the blades with the help of a given tool. Hand-wash them properly with warm water and brush/scrub dipped in detergent. After you are done washing, place them carefully back in the blender.
Why Air Drying the Vitamix Blender Is Important?
Not only is air-drying perfect for your Vitamix that is known best blender for juicing, but it’s also absolutely vital for your health. Waterborne bacteria spread rapidly on damp dishes; therefore, air drying will ensure that no bacterial growth occurs. Bacteria prefer moist, darkened areas that are also warm since warmth can promote bacteria’s growth and expansion; however, darkness helps them start the process. To air-dry your expensive Vitamix pitcher and lid, you can place them upside down on a countertop dish strainer. Also, if you’ve got hooks in the kitchen sink, you should hang them up to make things a little better. The air-drying process also ensures that no hard water residue lines or sediments on your pitcher, which you can find when they are dried in a dishwasher.
Why does Vitamix Blender Get Cloudy?
No matter how carefully you wash your Vitamix pitcher after each use, a tough white film will begin to grow on it, merely from blending too many mineral-rich fruits and vegetables. It is just like the mineral build-up on your shower head, and removing it can be challenging.
Carry out the following steps monthly or as required for a deep clean:
- Pour 4-cups of cold water and 4-cups of white vinegar into the pitcher, and just let it soak for almost four hours.
- Pour out the contents from the container and rinse it with warm water thoroughly.
- And then follow the cleaning instructions mentioned above.
- Only the 20-ounce and 40-ounce pitchers of S-Series are top-rack dishwasher-friendly.
However, we do not recommend putting your Vitamix pitcher in the dishwasher, as it may damage the components. For complete cleaning directions, please refer to the owner’s manual.
How to Eliminate Unwanted Smells from Your Vitamix Blender?
In case your blender contains unwanted odor even after getting washed, consider the following approach:
- Make a solution of 50 percent vinegar and 50 percent Luke warm water and fill the jug halfway. Rinse the blender after a few minutes and wash with soap and water.
- If the odor persists, fill up the blender fully with the vinegar-warm water mixture and allow it to stay in the blender for multiple hours. Rinse and wash the blender subsequently.
- If step 2 does not succeed, fill the blender halfway with warm water and add a small amount of liquid bleach. Rinse and wash the solution after a few minutes.
Remove Turmeric Stains from your Vitamix Blender
Turmeric can leave golden stains in the blender, which can crust and become hard to remove. To efficiently remove Turmeric stains from your blender, fill up the blender halfway and add a small amount of liquid bleach followed by rinsing and washing after a few minutes. If this technique does not produce the required results, try cleaning the blender with a baking soda and water paste using a clean toothbrush.
Helpful Hints for Cleaning Vitamix Blender
Cleaning the Vitamix Base:
The motor base of the Vitamix blender doesn’t have to be cleaned every time after use. If the contents of the pitcher spill over the edges of the base, clean it off with a damp wipe/paper towel before it becomes a super hard mess. It will spare you from hard accumulation that is difficult to clean.
Q-tip to clean control panel buttons:
If there is a layer of blended sludge in the spaces around the Vitamix’s control panel, it may not be easy to get it all off with a sponge or cotton cloth. Therefore, take a Q-tip, dip it in rubbing alcohol, and then clean around the buttons carefully. The rubbing alcohol would remove the stuck-on material and leave your blender sparkling clean.
Cleaning beneath the centering pad:
The centering pad of the Vitamix blender is removable; remove it carefully and clean under it and the pad. Always make sure to unplug the power cord while cleaning. Doing the process monthly will keep the cleaning job manageable, and the blender will keep operating smoothly.
Bypassing a mid-meal cleaning:
Your Vitamix appliance is often the main-performer of your meal prep, and you intend to use it for more than one time. It is a valid reason for skipping the regular entire post-blend cleaning process. A simple rinse will work just fine.
Blender pitcher is far beyond repair:
If your appliance is still under warranty, you can contact the Vitamix Customer Service to replace your well-loved pitcher. Alternatively, you can always buy a new pitcher directly from the seller.
The simplest solution to remove marks, bad smells and residue from your Vitamix pitcher is to prevent them from occurring in the first place. After all, it is all about keeping your expensive blender as clean as possible, so that there is no bacterial growth in it.
Although you can wash some of the blender’s jars in the dishwasher, however, if you wash them properly using the methods described above, your machine will last an incredible amount of time. Dishwashers are very damaging and hazardous to the Vitamix since it can make your expensive container look very messy and cloudy. Moreover, the heating process inside the dishwasher often breaks the seals at the bottom of your pitcher. Therefore, compare convenience against the price of more frequent blade repairs and replacements.