Everyone tries to preserve their food in the summer. This is the case with fruits vegetables, especially potatoes. But the question that arises in our mind here is how long do potatoes last in the fridge.
Raw potatoes will last for three to four weeks. If cooked, then it will last for five to six days in the refrigerator. Let’s know about it in detail.
How long do Raw potatoes last in the Fridge?
It is convenient to store potatoes in the fridge or at room temperature. But the life of potatoes at room temperature is lesser than the refrigerator. In the fridge, potatoes will last for a month.
But at room temperature, it will barely cross a week. So it is better to store potatoes in the fridge to use them for an extended period. Here is an easier way to store raw potatoes to stretch the life of raw potatoes.
How to store Raw Potatoes
Follow these easy steps to store raw potatoes in the refrigerator.
- Separate potatoes that have gone bad before they turn all potatoes bad.
- No need to peel the potatoes as the cover protects them from getting blue or smelly.
- Take a bag or airtight jar. It would help if you take a seal lock bag for this purpose.
- Now put all the potatoes inside the bag or jar and make sure there is no air inside the jar or container.
- So it’s time to put the bag or the jar inside the fridge and use them whenever you want. But only for a month
When do Potatoes go bad?
Usually, it is difficult to tell whether the potatoes have gone bad or not and we keep using them. So to keep yourself healthy, you should know the changes that occur when the potato goes bad.
- It starts changing colour. Mostly green, brown, or blue.
- It smells odd, which is obvious and easy to find.
- In the worst cases, the water inside the potatoes dries out.
So these three are the most known and observed conditions of unhealthy potatoes. Be mindful before using potatoes.
How long do cooked potatoes last in the fridge?
Cooked potatoes have a shorter storing lifespan than raw ones. But it depends on how you cooked them. If you boil them, they can last longer, but if you have fried them, then you need to finish them quickly.
Conventionally, cooked potatoes last for 3-5 days. Here are some ways of extending the life of cooked potatoes.
How to cook potatoes to store in the fridge
Here we will elaborate on the easiest method to cook potatoes for storing them in the refrigerator.
- Figure out the perfect potatoes first.
- Then wash and peel them well.
- Make sure no dirt remains on the potatoes.
- After peeling, now it’s time to cut them in slices. For this, you need to cut them in fries shape. Do not slice them thin; make sure your fries are thick enough.
- After cutting, boil water in the pot and put those fries in them for 3-5 minutes.
- After boiling, take them out and let them dry.
- Once your fries are dry, take an airtight sealed bag and start packing the potato fries in it. Make sure all air is gone from the bag, and fries are tightly packed.
- Now put them in the refrigerator for as long as you want. And enjoy. 🙂
Indications that the cooked potatoes have gone bad
If you have stored the cooked potatoes, it does not mean that it will not go bad. Storing them for an extended period could create a possibility that the potatoes have become inedible.
- A strong odour and a visible mould are the major symptoms that you will find in cooked potatoes if they have gone bad.
- Cooked potatoes are prone to food bacteria that cause food poisoning.
These are the two symptoms that you keep in mind before using cooked potatoes.
Health effects of Unhealthy Potatoes
Spoiled potatoes are unhealthy for you. They can cause several diseases, but the main and possibly the worst one is food poisoning. Other than that, other conditions are as follows;
- Stomach cramps
- Muscles cramps
In some cases, if it gets worse and severe, then you may have to get hospitalized, or it might lead to death as well. Thus it is suggested that you should not store potatoes in the fridge for more than four days.